Las Vegas Art Museum Records
1950-2009 (inclusive); 1997-2009 (bulk)
4 linear feet (4 record storage boxes)
Collection is comprised of the records of the Las Vegas Art Museum which began its life as the Las Vegas Art League in 1950. In 1966 the Art League moved to Lorenzi Park and in 1974 officially became the LV Art Museum. It was governed by a Board of Directors, mostly local artists. Itís exhibitions prior to 1997 were primarily of local art and artists, with a permanent collection of approx. 100 pieces. In 1997 the Museum moved into the Sahara West Library/Fine Art Museum Building, expanded its governing board, broadened its exhibit scope and schedule, and significantly increased its professional staff and members. In 2005 Libby Lumpkin, distinguished art historian and critic, and founding curator of the Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art, became the Museumís director and launched an ambitious program of exhibitions, lectures, and publications featuring prominent contemporary artists. Under her direction and with the association of her husband, McArthur Award-winning art critic Dave Hickey, the LVAM became a recognized center of contemporary art. Lacking sufficient funding, the Las Vegas Art Museum officially closed on Feb.28, 2009. The collection is comprised of exhibit catalogs and the museumís records including catalogs, programs, and publicity.