Violin: A Starting Guide
Part I: Where to Find Violin Music in the UNLV Music Library
- Solo Violin: M40-44
- Violin with piano/keyboard: M217-223
- Chamber music including strings (NOTE: Not all works in these areas will include violin):
- Duets: M286-287, M290-291, M294-295
- Trios with keyboard: M310-314, M320-324, M330-334
- String trios: M349-353
- Other trios: M360-364, M370-374, M380-384
- Quartets with keyboard: M410-414, M420-424, M430-434, M440-444
- String quartets: M450-454
- Other quartets: M460-464, M470-474, M480-484
- Quintets with keyboard: M510-514, M520-524, M530-534, M540-544
- String quintets: M550-554
- Other quintets: M560-564, M570-574, M580-584
- Sextets with keyboard: M610-614, M620-624, M530-634, M640-644
- String sextets: M650-654
- Other sextets: M660-664, M670-674, M680-684
- Septets with keyboard: M710-714, M720-724, M730-734, M740-744
- String septets: M750-754
- Other septets: M760-764, M770-774, M780-784
- Octets with keyboard: M810-814, M820-824, M830-834, M840-844
- String octets: M850-854
- Other octets: M860-864, M870-874, M880-884
- Nonets with keyboard: M910-914, M920-924, M930-934, M940-944
- String nonets: M950-954
- Other nonets: M960-964, M970-974, M980-984
- Violin with orchestra: M1012-1013
- Violin with string orchestra: M1112-1113
- Instruction and study: MT260-261
- Studies and exercises: MT262-271
- Orchestra studies: MT266
- History of the Violin: ML800-897 (Lied Book Stacks)
See also our list of Violin Compact Discs in the Music Library on this site.
Part II: Representative Subject Headings for Violin
Note: The headings below do not include the numerous chamber combinations of violin with other instruments. For more comprehensive results, perform a keyword search including the term "violin."
- Violin Music
- Concertos (Violin with string orchestra)
- Sonatas (Violin)
- Violin with string orchestra
- Violin and piano music
- Violin--Instruction and study
- Sonatas (Violin and piano)
- Violin--Studies and exercises
- Concertos (Violin)
- Violin--Orchestra studies
- Violin with orchestra
Part III: Useful Sources
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, Directories
The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (Online). London: Macmillan Reference; New York: Grove's Dictionaries, 2001-
Emery, Frederic Barclay. The Violinist's Dictionary, containing the explanation of about 4,000 words, phrases, signs, references, etc., foreign as well as English, used in the study of the violin and also by string players generally, with a list of important composers of violin music, and of old violin makers, as well as bow makers, also rules for the pronunciation of foreign terms. New ed., very much enl. London: W. Reeves; New York: Scribner, 1925.
Lied Book Stacks ML102.V4 E5 1925
Jackson, Barbara Garvey. The A.S.T.A. Dictionary of Bowing Terms for String Instruments. 3rd ed. [Bloomington, Ind.?] : American String Teachers Association, 1987.
Music Ref. ML108.S382 A2 1987
The Strad Directory. Middlesex, UK: Orpheus Publications, 2003.
Music Ref. ML800 .S88x 2004
Pedigo, Alan. International Encyclopedia of Violin-Keyboard Sonatas and Composer Biographies. 2nd ed., rev. and enl. Booneville, Ark.: Arriaga Publications, 1995.
Music Ref. ML102.V45 P4 1995
Wilkins, Wayne. The Index of Violin Music (Winds), Including the Index of Baroque Trio Sonatas. Magnolia, Ark.: Music Register, 1973.
Lied Book Stacks ML128.V4 W54
___________. 1973 Supplement to The Index of Violin Music. Magnolia, Ark.: Music Register, [1974?]
Lied Book Stacks ML128.V4 W53 1973
___________. 1974 Supplement to The Index of Violin Music (Strings) (1973) and the Index of Violin Music (Winds) (1974) : Including the Index of Baroque Trio Sonatas. Magnolia, Ark.: Music Register, [1975?]
Lied Book Stacks ML128.V4 W53 1974
___________. 1975 Supplement to The Index of Violin Music. Magnolia, Ark.: Music Register, 1975.
Lied Book Stacks ML128.V4 W53 1975
___________. 1976-1977 Supplement to The Index of Violin Music. Magnolia, Ark.: Music Register, 1977.
Lied Book Stacks ML128.V4 W53 1976-77
___________. 1978 Supplement to The Index of Violin Music. Magnolia, Ark.: Music Register, 1978.
Lied Book Stacks ML128.V4 W53 1978
Cobbett, Walter Willson. Cobbett's Cyclopedic Survey of Chamber Music. Oxford [England]; New York: Oxford University Press, 1988, c1963.
Music Ref. ML1100 .C7 1988
Cohn, Arthur. The Literature of Chamber Music. Chapel Hill, N.C.: Hinshaw, c1997.
Music Ref. ML1100 .C78 1997
Lawrence, Ian. The Twentieth-Century String Quartet: an Historical Introduction and Catalogue. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 2001.
Lied Book Stacks ML128.C4 L37 2001
Part IV: Periodicals
American String Teacher
Lied Periodicals ML27.U5 A8356
American Suzuki Journal
Lied Periodicals ML170 .A45x
Lied Periodicals ML1 .C353
Journal of the Violin Society of America
Lied Periodicals ML1 .V298
Lied Periodicals ML5 .S89
Lied Periodicals ML749.5 .S87