Trombone: A Starting Guide
Part I: Where to Find Trombone Music in the UNLV Music Library (including Bass Trombone)
- Solo trombone: M90-94
- Trombone with piano/keyboard: M262-263
- Chamber music including brass (NOTE: Not all works in these areas will include trombone or bass trombone):
- Duets: M288-291, M296-297
- Trios with keyboard: M315-324, M335-339
- Other trios: M356-364, M375-384
- Quartets with keyboard: M415-424, M435-444
- Other quartets: M455-464, M475-484
- Quintets with keyboard: M515-524, M535-544
- Other quintets: M555-564, M575-584
- Sextets with keyboard: M615-624, M635-644
- Other sextets: M655-664, M675-684
- Septets with keyboard: M715-724, M735-744
- Other septets: M755-764, M775-784
- Octets with keyboard: M815-824, M835-844
- Other octets: M855-864, M875-884
- Nonets with keyboard: M915-924, M935-944
- Other nonets: M955-964, M975-984
- Trombone with orchestra: M1032-1033
- Trombone with string orchestra: M1132-1133
- Instruction and study: MT460-472 (Lied Library Stacks)
- Studies and exercises: MT462-465
- Orchestra studies: MT466
- History of the trombone: ML965-968 (Lied Library Stacks)
See also our list of Brass (Solo & Ensemble) Compact Discs in the Music Library on this site.
Part II: Representative Subject Headings for Trombone
Note: The headings below do not include the numerous chamber combinations of trombone with other instruments. For more comprehensive results, perform a keyword search including the term "trombone." For bass trombone, perform a keyword search including the terms "bass trombone."
- Trombone music
- Sonatas (Trombone)
- Trombone and piano music
- Sonatas (Trombone and piano)
- Concertos (Trombone)
- Trombone with orchestra
- Concertos (Trombone with string orchestra)
- Trombone--Instruction and study
- Trombone--Studies and exercises
- Trombone--Orchestra studies
- Bass trombone music
- Bass trombone and piano music
- Concertos (Bass trombone)
- Concertos (Bass trombone with instrumental ensemble)
- Bass trombone--Methods
- Bass trombone--Studies and exercises
Part III: Useful Sources
The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (Online). London: Macmillan Reference; New York: Grove's Dictionaries, 2001-
Arling, Harry J. Trombone Chamber Music : an Annotated Bibliography. 2nd ed. Nashville, Tenn.: Brass Press, 1983.
Music Ref. ML128.T76 A7 1983
Everett, Thomas G. Annotated Guide to Bass Trombone Literature. Nashville, Tenn.: Brass Press, 1985.
Music Ref. ML128.T76 E9 1985
Lane, G. B. The Trombone : an Annotated Bibliography. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 1999.
Music Ref. ML128.T76 L36 1999
Solos for the Student Trombonist : an Annotated Bibliography. Nashville, Tenn.: Brass Press, 1979.
Lied Book Stacks ML132.T76 S6
Wick, Denis. Trombone Technique. Oxford [England]: Oxford University Press, 1984.
2nd ed. Includes "repertoire list" (p. 120-133).
Lied Book Stacks MT460 .W5 1984
Cobbett, Walter Willson. Cobbett's Cyclopedic Survey of Chamber Music. Oxford [England]; New York: Oxford University Press, 1988, c1963.
Music Ref. ML1100 .C7 1988
Cohn, Arthur. The Literature of Chamber Music. Chapel Hill, N.C.: Hinshaw, c1997.
Music Ref. ML1100 .C78 1997
Gillaspie, Jon A., Marshall Stoneham, David Lindsey Clark. Wind Ensemble Catalog. (Music reference collection ; no. 63) Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1998.
Music Ref. ML128.W5 G52 1998
Part IV: Periodicals
Lied Periodicals ML5 .B6864
Lied Periodicals ML1 .C353
Historic Brass Society Journal
Lied Periodicals ML933 .H57
I T A Journal
Lied Periodicals ML1 .I86