Sacred Vocal Music: A Starting Guide
Part I: Where to Find Sacred Vocal Music Materials in the UNLV Music Library
- Chant (Plain, Gregorian, etc.): MT860
- Chorus with piano accompaniment: M2060-2101.5
- Men's Chorus with orchestral accompaniment: M2029-2032
- Women's Chorus with orchestral accompaniment: M2033-2036
- Duets, trios, etc. with orchestral accompaniment: M2018-2019.5
- Liturgical music: M2014.5-2017.6
- Masses: M2010-2014
- Miscellaneous collections: M1999
- Oratorios: M2000-2007
- with Orchestra (including Cantatas, Solo Arias, etc.): M2102-2108
- with Piano: M2110-2114
Part II: Representative Subject Headings for Sacred Vocal Music
- Cantatas, Sacred
- Church Music
- Choruses, Sacred
- Gregorian Chants
- Magnificat (Music)
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint -- Songs and Music
- Part-Songs, Sacred
- Psalms (Music)
- Sacred Duets
- Sacred Songs
- Sacred Vocal Music
- Synagogue Music
Part III: Useful Sources
Dickinson, Edward. Music in the History of the Western Church. New York, Greenwood Press, 1969.
Lied Book Stacks ML3000 .D65 1969
Jeffers, Ron. Translations and Annotations of Choral Repertoire. Corvallis, Or.: Earthsongs, 1989.
Lied Book Stacks BV186.5 .J43x 1989
Orr, N. Lee. Choral Music in Nineteenth-Century America: A Guide to the Sources. Lanham, Md.: Scarecrow Press, 1999.
Music Ref. ML128.C48 O77 1999
Sharp, Avery T. Choral Music: A Research and Information Guide. New York: Routledge, 2002.
Music Ref. ML128.C48 S53 2002
Smither, Howard E. A History of the Oratorio. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1977.
UNLV Books Stacks ML3201 .S6
Part IV: Periodicals
American Choral Review.
Lied Periodicals ML 1 .A36
The Choral Journal.
Lied Periodicals ML 1 .C656
Journal of Singing.
Formerly titled: The NATS Journal, The NATS Bulletin, Bulletin.
Lied Periodicals ML27.U5 N2652
Lied Periodicals ML1 .P1057