Bassoon: A Starting Guide
Part I: Where to Find Bassoon Music in the UNLV Music Library
- Solo bassoon: M75-M79
- Bassoon with piano/keyboard: M253-M254
- Chamber music including woodwinds (NOTE: Not all works in these areas will include bassoon):
- Duets: M288-291, M296-297
- Trios with keyboard: M315-324, M335-339
- Other trios: M356-364, M375-384
- Quartets with keyboard: M419-424, M435-439
- Other quartets: M455-464, M475-484
- Quintets with keyboard: M519-524, M535-539
- Other quintets: M555-564, M575-584
- Sextets with keyboard: M619-624, M635-639
- Other sextets: M655-664, M675-684
- Septets with keyboard: M719-724, M735-739
- Other septets: M755-764, M775-784
- Octets with keyboard: M819-824, M835-839
- Other octets: M855-864, M875-884
- Nonets with keyboard: M919-924, M935-939
- Other nonets: M955-964, M975-984
- Bassoon with orchestra: M1026-1027
- Bassoon with string orchestra: M1126-1127
- Instruction and study: MT400-405 (Lied Library Stacks)
- Studies and exercises: MT400-405 (Music Library)
- Orchestra studies: MT406
- History of the bassoon: ML950-951 (Lied Library Stacks)
See also our list of Bassoon Compact Discs in the UNLV Music Library on this site.
Part II: Representative Subject Headings for Bassoon
Note: The headings below do not include the numerous chamber combinations of bassoon with other instruments. For more comprehensive results, perform a keyword search including the term "bassoon."
- Bassoon Music
- Sonatas (Bassoon)
- Bassoon and piano music
- Sonatas (Bassoon and piano)
- Concertos (Bassoon)
- Bassoon with orchestra
- Concertos (Bassoon with string orchestra)
- Bassoon with string orchestra
- Bassoon--Instruction and study
- Bassoon--Studies and exercises
- Bassoon--Orchestra studies
Part III: Useful Sources
The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (Online). London: Macmillan Reference; New York: Grove's Dictionaries, 2001-
Beebe, Jon P. Music for Unaccompanied Solo Bassoon. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, c1990.
Music Ref. ML128.B26 B43 1990
Fletcher, Kristine Klopfenstein. The Paris Conservatoire and the Contest Solos for Bassoon. Bloomington, Ind.: Indiana University Press, 1988.
Music Ref. ML128.B26 F6 1988
Wilkins, Wayne. The Index of Bassoon Music, Including the Index of Baroque Trio Sonatas. Magnolia, Ark.: Music Register, 1976.
Lied Book Stacks ML128.B25 W5 1976
McKay, James The Bassoon Reed Manual: Lou Skinner's Theories and Techniques. Bloomington, Ind.: Indiana University Press, 2000.
Lied Book Stacks ML951 .M35 2000
Weait, Christopher. Bassoon Reed-Making: a Basic Technique. New York, NY: McGinnis & Marx Music Publishers, 2000.
Lied Book Stacks ML951 .W4 2000
Cobbett, Walter Willson. Cobbett's Cyclopedic Survey of Chamber Music. Oxford [England]; New York: Oxford University Press, 1988, c1963.
Music Ref. ML1100 .C7 1988
Cohn, Arthur. The Literature of Chamber Music. Chapel Hill, N.C.: Hinshaw, c1997.
Music Ref. ML1100 .C78 1997
Gillaspie, Jon A., Marshall Stoneham, David Lindsey Clark. Wind Ensemble Catalog. (Music reference collection ; no. 63) Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1998.
Music Ref. ML128.W5 G52 1998
Part IV: Periodicals
The Double Reed
Lied Periodicals ML929.D69
Journal / International Double Reed Society
Lied Periodicals ML1 .I718
The Woodwind Quarterly
Lied Periodicals ML929 .W66
Lied Periodicals ML1 .C353