Media materials are available for use during all hours that the library is open.
Media materials are in closed stacks and retrieved by staff members using call numbers that are provided by the library's catalog . There are various types of playback equipment available in the library, and staff are available to assist with its use.
Borrowing Media items
All registered patrons with a valid Library barcode have access to our Media holdings. See our Circulation department page for registration instructions.
Media Resources materials may only be checked out for a 2 hour period, and may be renewed for an additional 2 hours.
Only UNLV faculty, graduate assistants, research assistants, and teaching assistants may remove Media holdings from the Library. The faculty circulation period varies with media type:
- Videocassettes and DVDs: 3 day checkout
- CD ROMS/Interactive multimedia: 2 week checkout
- Audiocassettes and slides: 1 week checkout
- Compact discs and LPs: 2 week checkout
- Faculty members are responsible for materials checked out in their name, regardless of who actually checked out the item. Replacement cost plus a $35.00 per item processing fee will be charged for loss or damage incurred while material is checked out. Condition of material will be checked prior to circulation and upon return.
- Materials checked out may be recalled if requested by another authorized borrower. They can be immediately recalled if needed for a class reserve.
Unauthorized removal of media materials from the library may result in loss of borrowing privileges, fines, and disciplinary action with the Office of Student Services, etc.
Procedures for Student Use of Media for Classroom Projects:
- A valid Library ID with no fines or overdue items is REQUIRED.
- Students are responsible for media checked out of the Library for classroom presentations.
- Checkout period is for the class period only (2-4 hours depending on length of class).
- Media must be picked up and returned to the Media counter.
- Students can preview videos or other media of interest for presentation. PREVIEW MUST BE DONE IN THE LIBRARY.
- Titles should be placed on hold for the date of the presentation. (Faculty members have priority use.)
- Fines are assessed for overdue media at the reserve rate of $2.00 per hour.
- Replacement costs for a damaged or lost video range from $29 to $895 depending on the title
Students are responsible for all materials checked out to them. If you are working with other students, we have group viewing facilities for preview of our materials. Inquire at the Media Resources Service Counter about reserving a room for the day and time you can all gather to preview needed titles. See the Media Resources desk for the full student project procedures.