Band/Wind Ensemble: A Starting Guide
Part I: Where to Find Band and Wind Ensemble Music in the UNLV Music Library
Note: In library usage the term "wind ensemble" is used to refer to any ensemble of ten or more wind instruments, one player to a part. If parts are doubled (such as clarinets) "band" is used instead. As a result, many works published "for wind ensemble" will be found under "band music" instead.
- Wind ensembles (winds only): M955-959
- "Other ensembles" (including winds with percussion): M965-986
- Band music:
- Symphonies: M1201
- Suites: M1203
- Overtures: M1204
- Solo instrument with band: M1205-1206
- Miscellaneous pieces: M1245
- Marches: M1247
- Arrangements for band: M1254-1270
- Literature about the band/wind ensemble:
- Bibliographies and lists of band music: ML128.B23
- Discographies: ML156.4.B3
- Dictionaries and encyclopedias: ML102.B35
- History and criticism: ML1300-ML1354
- Instruction and study: MT733
- Marching band: MT733.4
- Instrumentation (scoring): MT73
See also our list of Band/Wind Ensemble Compact Discs in the UNLV Music Library on this site.
Part II: Representative Subject Headings for Band/Wind ensemble
- Wind ensembles
- Wind ensembles--Bibliography
- Wind ensembles--History and criticism
- Band music
- Band music--Bibliography
- Band music--Bio-bibliography
- Band music--History and criticism
- Bands (Music)--Instruction and Study
- Symphonies (Band)
- Suites (Band)
- Variations (Band)
- Overtures (Band)
- Marches (Band)
- Marching Bands
Note: Also search subject headings using the form [solo instrument] with band; for example: Clarinet with band, and in the form Concertos ([solo instrument] with band); for example: Concertos (Flute with band)
Part III: Useful Sources
Battisti, Frank L. Winds of Change: the Evolution of the Contemporary American Wind Band/Ensemble and its Conductor. Galesville, MD: Meredith Music Publications, 2002.
Lied Book Stacks ML1311.5 .B38 2002
Gillaspie, Jon A. The Wind Ensemble Catalog. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 1998.
Music Ref. ML128.W5 G52 1998
Instructional Literature for Middle-level Band . Reston, VA: Music Educators National Conference, c1996.
Music Ref. ML128.B23 I53 1996
The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (Online). London: Macmillan Reference; New York: Grove's Dictionaries, 2001-
Rehrig, William H. The Heritage Encyclopedia of Band Music. Westerville, Ohio: Integrity Press, c1991.
Music Ref. ML102.B35 R4 1991
Whitwell, David. The History and Literature of the Wind Band and Wind Ensemble. Northridge, Calif.: Winds, [c1982]-
Lied Book Stacks ML1300 .W56 1982
Whitwell, David. A New History of Wind Music. [Evanston, Ill.: Instrumentalist Co.], 1980.
Lied Book Stacks ML930 .W5 1980
The Wind Ensemble and its Repertoire : Essays on the Fortieth Anniversary of the Eastman Wind Ensemble. Rochester, N.Y.: University of Rochester Press, 1994.
Lied Book Stacks ML1300 .W58 1994
Part IV: Periodicals
College Band Directors National Association Journal
Lied Periodicals ML1299 .C64
Journal of Band Research
Lied Periodicals ML1299 .J68x