You are here
Printing from Your Personal Laptop
- Staff/Contact info
- Borrowing media items
- Laptop checkout
- Other media services
- Printable subject guides
- New titles
- Streaming videos
- Library computers
- Printing in the libraries
- Personal laptop use
- Computer access for UNLV affiliates
- Computer access for guest users
- Computer use policies
How Do I...
- Search media
- Search feature films
- Search reserves
- Request new media titles
- Connect from off-campus
- Find streaming videos
- Find more information about researching media
This service is available to current affiliates of NSHE (Nevada System of Higher Education, which includes UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, DRI, GBC, TMCC, and WNCC). Currently, this service is available only in Lied Library.
To install the print client which will allow you to connect to library printers, unzip and install the appropriate print client software:
- Windows XP: 32-bit version
- Windows Vista: 32-bit version or 64-bit version
- Windows 7: 32-bit version or 64-bit version
For Windows Vista or Windows 7 users, right-click on My Computer and click on Properties. You can determine if your system is 32-bit or 64-bit by looking under System Type as shown below.
Two printers will be installed to your computer. They will not replace your default printer. Each time you send something to the printer in the University Libraries, you will need to choose the appropriate printer.
- LaptopBW on UNIPRINT = University Libraries black & white printers
- LaptopCO on UNIPRINT = University Libraries color printers
- If you choose “LaptopBW” you may pay for and pick up your print job at any black & white printer on floors 1-5.
- If you choose “LaptopCO” you may pay for and pick up your print job at the color printer on the 1st or 2nd floor.
To use the library printers on Mac OSX you must first install Popup 8.1.
- Download the PopUp-8.1.zip file above and double-click on it.
- Open the PopUp-8.1 folder and double-click on Popup.dmg to create a new disk image in Finder. This disk contains the Popup 8.1 installer, Popup.pkg.
- Double-click the Popup.pkg installer to run it. You may be requested to authenticate yourself as an administrator.
- Select a destination disk. You will only be able to select the startup disk.
- Click Install (or Upgrade). The installer automatically installs Popup 8.1 and required support files.
Pharos Popup will now be running on the computer and will be automatically launched every time a user logs in.
Once PopUp is installed you will need to add the library printers to your printer list. Please ignore the instructions included with PopUp-8.1.zip and follow the instructions below to complete your printer set up.
- Open System Preferences and click on the Print & Fax icon.
- To add a printer click the + button.
- Right-click or hold down the Control key on the keyboard and click anywhere on the toolbar. From the popup menu that appears, select Customize Toolbar....
- Drag the Advanced icon to the toolbar and close the customization dialog.
- Click on the Advanced button in the toolbar.
- From the Type popup button, select Pharos Print Server.
- In the URL field, enter the URL, as shown below, for the printer you wish to install:
- In the Name field, enter a name for the new printer queue. This is the name that will show on your computer.
- From the Print Using popup button, select the type of printer. “Generic PostScript Printer” will work in most cases.
- Click Add. The new Popup queue will now show up in the list of printers.
- To print to the new queue, select it from the printer popup button in the print dialog of any application.
To remove Popup 8.1 from a computer, run the Pharos Uninstaller:
- Launch the Uninstaller application in /Library/Application Support/Pharos/Utilities.
- Select Pharos Popup and any other Pharos components that you would like to uninstall, then click Continue.
- A list of the selected items will be shown. Click Continue.
- Type in an administrator user name and password when required to do so. The selected components will be removed from the computer.