Entry number: B08059
Project Name: Cargill Residence
Building Type: Residential
Completion Date: February 2007
Architect: Valerie Clark Photography
Building Location: 65 Bennington Ct., Reno, NV 89511
General Contractor: Terry Moore Construction
Structural Engineer: Ferrari Shields & Associates
Photographer: Valerie Clark Photography
Statement of Design Approach:
This residence is located on a sloping, one acre site with panoramic views, mainly of the eastern Sierra Mountains and an adjacent meadow which is frequented by deer. The owner's desire was to take advantage of the views and the sloping, wooded site. The design evolved into a two-level house with the majority of the spaces oriented to the meadow view and the other spaces taking advantage of the mountain views.
The client also wanted a design that would reflect the site, be mountain rustic with a craftsman tone. Taking advantage of the sloped site provided the opportunity to create a daylight lower level. The design of the house employs several angular spaces to take advantage of the panoramic views and exposure to sunlight. All spaces were designed to be lofty and sunlit, with open-beamed ceilings and dormers. The materials utilized were selected for the rustic tone desired, as well a minimal maintenance.
This residence is designed with the following sustainability features:
- Clerestory windows and other windows provide an abundance of natural light.
- The house is zoned mechanically and can be separated by usage.
- The latest in energy efficient mechanical, plumbing and appliances are incorporated in the design.
- The majority of the building materials utilized are produced locally.
- Insulating values are well beyond local code and energy requirements.