Architecture Studies Library
       University of Nevada, Las Vegas Libraries
UNLV HOME (University of Nevada, Las Vegas)
Links for ASL and Libraries Hours for all UNLV Libraries Search catalog for all UNLV Libraries Access your library account ASL Comment Form
ASL Books     Articles     Course Reserves    
The ASL The Web

UNLV Libraries -> Architecture Studies Library -> Las Vegas Guides and Collections ->
AIA Nevada Design & Service Awards Archive -> 2008 awards



Entry number: B08029
Project Name: Burkholder
Building Type: Educational
Completion Date: November 2008
Architect: SH Architecture
Building Location: 355 W. Van Wagenen St., Henderson, NV 89015

Design Team:
Electrical Engineer: MSA Engineers
Landscape Architect: Southwick Landscape Architecture
General Contractor: McCarthy
Structural Engineer: Mendenhall Smith
Civil Engineer: Taney Engineers
Interior Designer: SH Architecture

Statement of Design Approach:
To provide a superior student environment through daylight, outdoor teaching/learning areas and a campus master plan. The focus design efforts included a rehabilitation of the existing gymnasium/community center, which has been a Henderson cornerstone for the past 50 years.

Burkholder Middle School in Henderson, Nevada has served the Henderson community for over 50 years, both as a middle school and as Basic High School. A local landmark, the school has played an important role in the lives of many Southern Nevadans. In addition to the typical challenges posed by a school replacement, the architects addressed the significant role history plays in rebuilding such a community symbol. The design of the new Burkholder Middle School includes preservation and reuse of the existing gymnasium, and the style of the new building is a modem interpretation of the original brick school buildings. The Clark County School District demands sustainable design for all new schools.

Burkholder Middle School is designed to use half of the energy of a typical middle school. While there are many building elements that support this energy reduction, some of the most notable are the geothermal heating and cooling systems and the use
of natural daylight in all classrooms and offices. In addition to historic preservation and energy efficiency, the design of Burkholder Middle

School also represents the success of a consensus-driven design process. From the very beginning of design on Burkholder, the architects included members of the Henderson community, CCSD administrators, Burkholder staff, and design professionals in their design committee. By engaging many people in the design process, the architects were able to consider many points of view while they addressed school design issues such as security, traffic, aesthetics, grade-level interaction, and after-school use. The result is a school that is truly part of the community.


Sustainable description:
General Information:

  • 112,000 Total square feet
  • 25,500 Sq. ft. refurbished, 86,500 sq.
  • 900 Students
  • 124 Sq. ft. per student

Indoor Environmental Quality:

  • Daylighting and views in 90% of the spaces
  • Low VOC finishes, adhesives, and substrates
  • High-Performance air filtration
  • Individual climate and lighting controls
  • Acoustics and amplification
  • Enhanced commissioning


  • Geothermal Heat Exchange handles 60% of building cooling load, the remaining 40% is cooled with a cooling tower
  • Cooling tower pre-cools the geothermal loop during the night to prepare for the daytime cooling needs
  • Designed to operate on half the energy of a typical school
  • Estimated annual energy cost: $76,617 or $0.68 SF/Year
  • Stepped Switching for lighting and individual thermal controls
  • Classrooms with Natural daylighting
  • Major glazing occurs on North elevation with louvered shading devices on the South elevations
  • Awarded EPA's Energy Star rating

Site, Materials, Resources, and Innovation:

  • Xeriscape, native landscape (no turf)
  • Increased shading (Heat Island Reduction)
  • On-site stormwater handling
  • 1069 lbs CO2 emissions annually, 23% reduction from a typical middle school
  • Restoration/ Retrofit of existing gym to new student center/cafeteria
  • Building as a learning tool Recycled steel components, ceiling tile


Back to top

Material in ASL Library: Form Core Boards, Project Description Form, Exteriors Photos, Location Map, Site Plan, Floor Plan, and Interior Photos

These images are low-resolution reproductions of the images provided for the AIA Nevada Design Awards. All materials should be considered copyrighted and may not be reproduced or used without permission.

Monday, 17-Dec-2012 10:50:04 PST